Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 onion – julienned
- 2 tsp. chopped garlic
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 qtrs. Chicken stock
- Olive oil
- 3 bay leaves
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Touch of white pepper
- Split butternut squash, scrape out seeds, wrap with aluminum foil and place in a preheated 350 degree oven on a sheet pan for 30-45 minutes. Squash should be soft to the touch.
- Unwrap the squash and scrape pulp into a bowl.
- Heat soup pot over medium heat and add olive oil and onion until onion caramelizes lightly.
- Add garlic and continue cooking until everything turns golden brown.
- Add squash and heat thoroughly while stirring.
- Season with some salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Add bay leaves and white wine, and stir.
- Reduce white wine by half and add chicken stock.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for around two hours.
- Remove from heat, puree and place back in pot and bring back to a low simmer.
- Season with salt and white pepper – you can also add curry power, allspice, cinnamon and cloves as well as a little heavy cream depending on your taste. Adding cream will make the soup silkier and richer tasting.
- Serve with a garnish of crème fraiche and chopped chives